History is reviewed including exercise habits, hobbies, diet, current medications and co-morbidities.
Vital signs, posture, strength, range of motion, standing balance, and safety with ambulation and transfers are assessed. Height measurement using a stadiometer and a picture highlighting posture is taken.
Patient goals are outlined and the plan of care is created.
- After pain levels have subsided
- Reducing likelihood of life altering falls
- Incorporating Interactive Metronome therapy and Biodex Portable BioSway
Interdisciplinary and Holistic Medicine
Nursing, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Social Work are incorporated to provide insight into disease processes, understanding medications, developing a bone healthy diet and accessing community resources.
Site Specific, Weight Bearing and Breathing Exercises
- Providing safe, gentle, isometric exercises to begin
- Improving lumbar thoracic and cervical paraspinal strength resulting in increased bone strength and body height
- Establishing walking program to improve bone strength
- Breathing exercises and better posture leading to improved vital organ function
Body Mechanics Education and Postural Correction
- Providing computer illustrated pictures and printed instructions
- Hands on training of safe Activity of Daily Living performance
- Eliminating dangerous habits that can cause future fractures
- Coaching to develop improved posture and evenly balanced stance
Inclusion of Durable Medical Equipment and Modalities
- Specific bracing protocols to improve outcomes
- Moist Heat and Ultrasound and Massage to manage pain
- Use of ambulatory aids, including proper fitting walkers, canes and walking poles to facilitate weight- bearing walking programs